Starting a Pest Control Business? Make Sure You're Operating Legally

Posted on: 5 June 2017

Starting your own business is one of the most exciting things you can do, but it's certainly not short on potential stress. With some types of business, however, there are very specific steps you need to take in order to make sure you're operating legally.

Pest control is a service that will never go out of fashion. People will always need a way to deal with unpleasant and harmful critters in their homes and business premises, and there will always be work for professionals who can do that particular type of work.

While there are some things every new business needs to do, others apply specifically to the pest control industry. Here's a step-by-step guide to the legal arrangements you should make before you start operating.

Get licensed

Before you proceed any further, you should make sure you have the proper licenses to operate this sort of business legally. To run a pest control company, you need two different licenses.

Firstly, you need a pest management technician's license. This is the license that allows you to actually carry out pest control work, and if you've previously worked as a pest controller for another company, you should already have one. If not, now is the time to apply.

The second legal document you'll need is a pest controller's license, which is the part allowing you to run a pest control business. Without both of these, you'll be breaking the law if you carry out work, so get them sorted early on.

Register your name

Once you've thought of a name for your business, you need to register it with the Australian Securities and Investments Commission, who will issue you with a company number and confirm registration of your name. If you're a sole trader, you don't need to register if you're just using your own name, but you will if you've come up with a business name.

Get insured

Any business needs insurance, but it's essential to get the right kind. As a pest controller, your job carries inherent risks, both for you and your employees and for your clients. Because of this, you need public liability insurance tailored to your type of work.

Check your driving license

If you're using a company vehicle that is not covered by the class C driving license — for example, a small truck or a large van — you should obtain the correct license to drive it. It's easy to forget about this with smaller heavy vehicles, so check which category any of your business vehicles fall into.

If you need professional legal assistance with setting up your pest control company, contact a lawyer who specialises in business law.